Pages

Tuesday 30 March 2010

Cereal for breakfast? Don't believe the hype.

I seem to be going against the grain of society when advising people about what to eat for breakfast. "I can't live without my cereal," is often what I hear. Let me tell you the origins of a famous breakfast Cereal.

My Kellogg wanted to create a way for people to increase their fibre intake and transformed the way people ate breakfast. I imagine that the cereals back then had a much higher fibre content as we have much more advance methods of refining foods and grains. Cereals aren't really part of a natural diet. They are more a fashion which has grown into a tradition. Yes we need more fibre in our diet however, cereals are only one way to get it in. In my opinion, it is a pretty poor one. Have you ever had a bowl of cereal, belched and felt like you could have a second? This isn't the sign of a good source of fibre. The ironic thing is that a function of fibre is to make you feel full so you need to eat less.

There are many other sources of fibre which are much more nutrient dense. People who have an intolerance to gluten or other grains may find that cereals exacerbate this and may suffer from host of conditions ranging from bloating to skin problems. If you want superior health, fitness, or want to lose weight, ditch the cereal. Eggs, fish, grass fed meats, nuts, seeds and fruit are just some of the many alternatives. You will be going against the grain (excuse the pun) however the grain of society is not a good model to follow.

Soon I will walk you through a 5 day no cereal plan. Benefits will include, weight loss, less bloating (flatter stomach) increased energy and better appetite regulation. Stay tuned.

2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to it. sounds good, but i'm one of the bad people that eat my first meal at lunch time !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lunch time?! That is one of the best ways to put on weight!

    ReplyDelete