Pages

Monday 26 April 2010

Top 5 excuses heard in the gym

#2 I don't have the time.

When we were children, time seemed to go so much slower. Days felt like weeks and we packed so much in. Now as adults, we wish we could have 10 more minutes in which to do the things we run out of time to do. However, time is rarely the problem, it is a question of priorities.

I was once told by an old client that he didn't have the time to spend in the gym to look like I do. Having heard this many times before, I kept quiet and let him carry on with his sob story. It is so important that we verify the facts before we talk ourselves out of doing things. He had already decided in his head that I spend hours in the gym and since he gets home at 10pm has no time.

Here is what he was really saying.

"Working out looks like hard work. I don't think I could do what you do. I also heard from some guy that he spends hours in the gym to stay in shape. I have made some choices in life which I have unknowingly sacrificed a considerable amount of time. I can't work out at lunch because my boss will think I am work shy. Any spare time I have at the end of the day, I choose to spend either watching TV with my wife or winding down from my day. I want to get in shape but I don't see where I can fit it in to my life right now."

Here is something I can work with. Let the professional work out what is possible. Don't make the decision for them. It's like approaching your bank manager for a loan and saying, "I have no money, and I don't think you should lend me any money so I will not waste your time any longer and leave". These people give the impression that life is totally out of their hands. After a conversation with someone like this, you will not want to get out of bed in the morning.

If ever you encounter someone like this, tell them they could save a lot time in the day by not moaning about how little time they have. It all comes down to priorities. You don't hear a type 1 diabetes sufferer say, " I just don't have the time to take my injections." They make the time or they suffer serious consequences. Quit whinging, take responsibility and get someone to help you make a plan. Otherwise quit whinging, accept the choices you have made and give your friend's ears a rest (and mine).

No comments:

Post a Comment