Pages

Saturday 27 March 2010

The best diet in the world

Clients continually ask me, "what is the best diet?". This is a difficult question as it all depends on your goal and your guiding beliefs. You may beleive that all food is good for you as manufacturers couldn't possibly sell food that kills you. Therefore, follow my reduced calorie pizza diet. You may want to live and eat in harmony with the planet and achieve better health, which will require different food groups altogether.

Last year, I had this discussion with a neuroscientist and he said the paleo diet seems to be the one which fits in with the needs of our body rather than trends or advances in agriculture. This is a diet similar to early man which avoids refined foods and is rich in nutrients. The problem is that we haven't evolved as fast as farming methods have and we need to be eating a diet similar to that of a caveman.

What does this involve? Nuts, seeds, fruits, veggies, fish and lean meats. What about breads and other starchy carbohydrates? It would be highly unlikely to see a caveman eating a croissant for breakfast. These should be your treat foods rather than the base of diet. What will you expect from a caveman's diet? Better appetite regulation, reduction in bodyfat and an increase in lean tissue are just a few of the many benefits of a paleo diet. It took me a long time to change the way I eat. I wouldn't go back as I feel great as a result. It also helps me to keep my bodyfat low all year round.

There are plenty of books on paleo diets and paleo foods. If you want to know more, get in touch or speak to a health professional.

No comments:

Post a Comment